Dr. V J KarthikeyanConsultant Cardiologist, Interventional Cardiology
Dr. V J KarthikeyanMBBS, MD, FRCP (London), FESCSpecialist in Interventional Cardiology
I am a consultant cardiologist specialising in interventional cardiology. My other areas of interest include high blood pressure (including high blood pressure in pregnancy), lipid disorders, preventative cardiology.
On completion of my general medical training and a higher research degree in cardiovascular medicine in the West Midlands, I embarked on a structured training programme in cardiology in Mersey Deanery, including high intensity sub-specialty training in percutaneous coronary intervention.
After gaining my certificate of completion of training in cardiology, as a consultant cardiologist, I have applied and expanded on my interventional skills in the emergency (primary PCI), acute and elective setting, as well managed patients with a wide spectrum of cardiovascular diseases. I have worked proactively with the hospital management and developed services such as introducing the Primary PCI programme to the population of North Wales and have made a significant contribution to the expansion of research in cardiovascular medicine as well as introduction of clinical governance and risk management policies in the cath labs. I have also contributed to cardiology training in Wales by participating in the recruitment process and annual review of clinical progression of cardiology trainees.
Throughout my career, I have taken every opportunity to keep myself up to date with scientific progress and evidence based practice in cardiology and developed valuable personal attributes including leadership and multi-disciplinary partnership, which enable me to provide high quality, effective and efficient patient-centred care.
- MBBS Bangalore University, India
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians, London, United Kingdom
- MD University of Birmingham
- FESC European Society of Cardiology
- FRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians, London, United Kingdom
- Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IRMER)
City Hospital, Birmingham
- Knowledge Based Assessment (Cardiovascular Med.)
British Cardiovascular Society, UK and
European Society of Cardiology
Achievements & Awards
- European Society of Cardiology Congress, Vienna
Basic Cardiovascular Science Young Investigator’s Travel Grant
- General Medical Council, UK
Full Registration No. 5207205
- Certificate of Completion of Training, CCT
03 Aug 2013
- Medical Protection Society
Membership No. 551373
Current Professional Memberships
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- British Cardiovascular Society
- European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions
- European Society of Cardiology
- Royal College of Physicians, London
- 07/2017 to date
Consultant, Interventional Cardiology
Research Lead, Division of Medicine
- Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh NHS Foundation Trust,
Wigan and Wythenshawe Hospital,
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester
- 01/2014 to 06/2017
Consultant, Interventional Cardiology
North Wales Cardiac Centre
Glan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl
- 08/2010 to 01/2014
Specialty Training, Cardiology with
sub-specialty training in intervention
- 08/2011 to 01/2014
Advanced Coronary intervention
Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital NHS
- 08/2011 to 01/2014
Liverpool Heart & Chest Hospital NHS
- 10/2007 to 08/2010
Cardiology & General (Internal) Medicine,
- 10/2005 to 10/2007
Research Fellow, Cardiovascular Medicine [MD]
Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals
NHS Trust, City Hospital, Birmingham
Experience in Coronary Intervention:
I am currently a consultant in interventional cardiology. I have gained the skills and competencies for percutaneous coronary intervention including advanced techniques including bifurcation stenting, chronic total occlusions, rotational atherectomy as well as imaging and functional assessments including intravascular ultrasound, optical coherent tomography and pressure wire studies and apply these in my everyday practice
General Cardiology & Medicine
I have gained extensive and varied experience in the assessment and management of common cardiac and medical conditions, both in outpatient clinics as well as patients admitted to coronary care unit/ intensive care unit and wards.
My work includes weekly ward rounds, outpatient clinics, coronary angiography and intervention (both elective and acute work), patient related administration, research clinics and weekly surgical multi-disciplinary meetings.
My on-call commitments include 1 in 7 general cardiology at the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary, Wigan and primary percutaneous coronary intervention (1 in 20) at Wythenshawe Hospital.
I supervise the clinical training of cardiology specialty trainees, as well as core medical and foundation year trainees posted in cardiology, as also the cardiology Advanced Nurse Practitioners. I have been the Designated Supervising Medical Practitioner (DSMP) for one of the Advanced Nurse Practitioners undertaking his Masters degree.
I am a member of the Medical Training Initiative (MTI) Panel of the Royal College of Physicians, London and approve candidates seeking registration under the MTI as well as review their progress in training under the MTI scheme.
Undergraduate & Postgraduate: [Feedback received: Excellent]
- Advanced Life Support Course Director and Instructor: Didactic lectures, training sessions, workshop based learning in the ALS courses;
- Formal: rota based teaching (seminars, didactic teaching) for medical and dental students, medical SHOs, (University of Liverpool: 2007 to 2010; University of Birmingham: 2002 – 2007);
- Examiner for undergraduate medical OSCEs (Drugs and Therapeutics), University of Birmingham (2005-06).
- Informal: bedside clinical teaching, physical examination skills, teaching on ward rounds, mock exams for MRCP PACES.
Others: Didactic lectures, training sessions for medical representatives, general practitioners and allied healthcare professionals.
- Chair, Electronic Patient Records Group, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, 2016 to 2017.
- Chair, Cath Lab Governance and Safety Group, North Wales Cardiac Centre, 2016 to 2017.
- Clinical Representative, Resuscitation Committee, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, 2016 to 2017.
- Consultant representative, Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Board, North Wales Cardiac Centre, 2014 to 2017.
- Cardiology representative, Ysbyty Glan Clwyd Tobacco Control Group, 2014 to 2016.
- Specialist Registrar representative, Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, 2013 to 2014.
- Member, Electronic Prescribing user group, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, 2011 to 2014.
- Designed the integrated care pathway for i.) Rapid access chest pain clinics and ii.) Referral forms for cardiac investigations, Warrington Hospital, 2008.
- Experience in verifying clinical coding of in-patient episodes to ensure appropriate payment by results, City Hospital, 2005.
- Member, Drugs and Therapeutics Committee, City Hospital, 2005.
- Co-ordinator, Undergraduate teaching schedules and lunch time meetings program 1998/1999 and 2001/2004; Immunisation camps (1995 through 1998) for the PULSE POLIO campaign to eradicate polio in India.
- Representative for North Wales, New Consultants’ Committee, Royal College of Physicians, London, 2014 to 2017.
- New Consultants’ Representative, Research & Academic Medicine Committee, Royal College of Physicians, London, 2015 to 2017.
- Consultant representative for ARCPs (2015 & 2016) and ST3 recruitment in Cardiology, Wales Deanery.
- Specialist Registrar rota/ leave coordinator, Cardiology, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, 2012-2013.
- Trainees’ representative, Specialist Training Education Committee, Mersey Deanery, Oct 2011.
- Associate College Tutor, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, April 2011 to June 2012; rota/leave for core medical trainees.
- Specialist Registrar rota/ leave coordinator, Cardiology, Warrington Hospital, 2007-09.
- I am a peer reviewer for scientific journals (Journal of Human Hypertension, Thrombosis Research, and European Journal of Clinical Investigation) & scientific papers and research articles and Education modules in cardiology for www.doctors.net.uk.
- Editor – Annual Magazine, Bangalore Medical College (1993).
Research Lead, Division of Medicine: I have been appointed to lead research in Medicine at Wigan.
Principal Investigator: GLOBAL LEADERS and AF-GEN registry; co-principal investigator: ABSORB Registry
I am an investigator for the above clinical trials. My research commitments include overseeing the running of these clinical trials supported by a research team in collaboration with North Wales Research Network previously and currently with the National Institute of Health Research.
I have had the opportunity, with my colleagues, to expand the research portfolio of cardiovascular medicine towards the setting up of the North Wales Cardiovascular Research Unit.
MD (University of Birmingham):
Vascular Biology of Pregnancy: A study of endothelial markers in hypertension in pregnancy.
This research was funded by the Department of Research and Development at City Hospital, Birmingham.
The study examined the processes occurring in the maternal vasculature, including angiogenesis, apoptosis, endothelial damage and regeneration/repair, the extra-cellular matrix and the haem oxygenase systems, the abnormalities that occur in them and their associations with hypertensive disorders of pregnancy and their complications. The study also offered further insights into the change in levels of the biomarkers with progression of gestation.
I gained experience in laboratory techniques for cell isolation by Immunobead method, flow cytometry and ELISA. I worked as a research fellow, involved in the running of clinical trials, including the ADVANCE, ReLY trials.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY, Baghdadi S, Lane DA, Beevers DG, Blann AD. Soluble Fas and Fas Ligand in Pregnancy: Influence of Hypertension. Angiology. 2012; 63:35-8.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY, Baghdadi S, Lane DA, Beevers DG, Blann AD. Angiogenin and hemoxygenase in pregnancy: influence of hypertension. Angiology. 2012; 63:194-8.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lane DA, Beevers DG, Lip GY, Blann AD. Matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitors in hypertension-related pregnancy complications. J Hum Hypertens. 2012. 10.1038/jhh.2012.8.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Ferner RE, Baghdadi S, Lane DA, Lip GY, Beevers DG. Are angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers safe in pregnancy: a report of ninety-one pregnancies? J Hypertens. 2011; 29:396-9.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Blann AD, Baghdadi S, Lane DA, Gareth Beevers D, Lip GY. Endothelial dysfunction in hypertension in pregnancy: associations between circulating endothelial cells, circulating progenitor cells and plasma von Willebrand factor. Clin Res Cardiol. 2011; 100:531-7.
- Watson T, Shantsila E, Karthikeyan VJ, Jessani S, Goon PK, Lip GY. The effects of exercise stress testing, diurnal variation and temporal decline on circulating progenitor cells. Thromb Haemost. 2010; 103:419-25.
- Shiner T, Simons L, Parkinson H, Khanbhai A, Karthikeyan VJ, Nandhara G, Beevers DG. The financial cost of optimising blood pressure control. J Hum Hypertens. 2005; 19:83-4. Erratum in: J Hum Hypertens. 2005; 19:849.
Reviews and Editorials:
- Karthikeyan VJ,. Adverse Effects of Statins- an update. Adverse Drug Reaction Bulletin. 2005; 233: 895-8.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Blood pressure control and prevention of stroke. Expert Rev Neurother. 2006; 6:203-12.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Review: Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers prevent atrial fibrillation. Evid Based Med. 2006; 11:15.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. White blood cell count and hypertension. J Hum Hypertens. 2006; 20: 310-2.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Pulse pressure and carotid atherosclerosis: an important link revisited? Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60:127-30.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Oxidative stress and hypertension. Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60:1525-7.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Aortic elasticity, left ventricular geometry and diastolic dysfunction in hypertension. Int J Clin Pract. 2006; 60:1337-40.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Vasculoprotective effects of angiotensin receptor blockers: beyond the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system? J Hypertens. 2006; 24:1715-7.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Tomson J, Lip GY. Cardio metabolic markers and risk of cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular Research.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Matrix metalloproteinases and hypertension: a link between left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction? Tohoku J Exp Med. 2006; 208:93-7.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Hypertension in pregnancy: pathophysiology and management strategies. Curr Pharm Des. 2007; 13:2567-79.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Kakar P, Lip GY. Controversial Question: Is the reliability of heart rate dependent on the methodology of measurement? Medicographia 2007; 29.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Bakris G, MacFadyen RJ. The ADVANCE trial: further PROGRESS with HOPE. J Hum Hypertens. 2007; 21:911-3.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Peripheral artery disease and hypertension: the relation between ankle-brachial index and mortality. J Hum Hypertens. 2007; 21:762-5.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Alpha 1-microglobulin: a further insight into inflammation in hypertension? Am J Hypertens. 2007; 20:1022-3.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Antihypertensive treatment, adiponectin and cardiovascular risk. J Hum Hypertens. 2007; 21:8-11.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide and coronary artery disease. Eur J Clin Invest. 2007; 37:1-7.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Statins and intra-plaque angiogenesis in carotid artery disease. Atherosclerosis. 2007; 192:455-6.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Endothelial damage/dysfunction and hypertension in pregnancy. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2011; 3:1100-8.
- Karthikeyan VJ. Haemostasis and Dyslipidemia interactions in CHD. Oxford: The Year in Lipid Disorders: 2009.
- Karthikeyan VJ. Hypertension in Pregnancy. Oxford: Hypertension: 2015 & 2008.
- Karthikeyan VJ. Malignant Hypertension. Oxford: Hypertension: 2015 & 2008.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY. Haemostasis and Dyslipidemia interactions in CHD. Oxford: The Year in Lipid Disorders: 2006.
Letters and case reports:
- Karthikeyan VJ, Beevers DG, Lip GY. Ethnic disparities in malignant hypertension: further observations. J Hypertens. 2007; 25:895.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Khan J, Lip GY. Hypercalcemia and the cardiovascular system. Heart Metab. 2006; 30:25-29.
- Watson T, Karthikeyan VJ, Lip GY, Beevers G. Atrial fibrillation in primary aldosteronism. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2009; 10:190-4.
- Krishnan U, Karthikeyan VJ, Trinh J, Theologou T, Velavan P. First report of the use of trans-esophageal echocardiography to position a temporary pacing wire. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. 2014;28:110-1.
- Karthikeyan VJ, Krishnan U, Palmer ND. Right coronary artery spasm causing ventricular fibrillation and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction following radial artery cannulation. Heart Asia. 2013
- Heseltine TD, Karthikeyan VJ, Morris J. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy with secondary coronary embolus BMJ Case Rep. 2014. pii: bcr2013203145. Doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-203145.
Presentations to Learned Societies
- Case Presentation: A case of Paclitaxel drug eluting balloon induced coronary aneurysms.
V J Karthikeyan, Heart Live 2016, Manchester, Nov 2016.
- HEAT PPCI: a clinical trial that did not really change my practice.
V J Karthikeyan, PCI Cymru 2015, Cardiff, May 2015.
- Case Presentation: A complex angioplasty.
V J Karthikeyan, TCT 2014, Washington DC, Sep 2014.
- Case Presentation: A case of ruptured stent balloon during angioplasty.
V J Karthikeyan, ND Palmer. EuroPCR 2014, Paris, May 2014.
- Case Presentation: Primary percutaneous coronary intervention.
V J Karthikeyan, M Andron. The 8th Annual UK Course for Cardiac Catheter lab Professionals 2013, Liverpool, July 2013.
- Complex Right Coronary Artery percutaneous coronary intervention in a very tortuous vessel.
Vellore J. Karthikeyan, R A Perry. Complex Cardiovascular Catheter Therapeutics 2013, Orlando, USA, June 2013.
- Bifurcation Lesion Treatment- TRYTON side branch stenting. V J Karthikeyan, M Andron. Meet the Experts’ session, India Live 2013, Madras (Chennai), India, Feb 2013.
- Serum soluble Fas and Fas Ligand in hypertension in pregnancy (poster). Vellore J. Karthikeyan, Shahirose Jessani, Balu Balakrishnan, Deirdre A. Lane, Sabah Baghdadi, D. Gareth Beevers, Gregory Y H Lip. American College of Cardiology 59th Annual Scientific Session, Atlanta, USA, March 2010.
- Angiotensin Converting Enzyme inhibitors and Angiotensin Receptor Blockers in pregnancy: an increasing problem (poster). V J Karthikeyan, Robin E. Ferner, Sabah Baghdadi, Deirdre A. Lane, Gregory Y H Lip, D. G. Beevers. American College of Cardiology 59th Annual Scientific Session, Atlanta, USA, March 2010.
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor and soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 in the pathogenesis of hypertension in pregnancy (oral). V J Karthikeyan, Shahirose Jessani, Balu Balakrishnan, Deirdre A. Lane, Sabah Baghdadi, D Gareth Beevers, Gregory Y H Lip. American College of Cardiology 58th Annual Scientific Session, Orlando, USA, March 2009.
- Circulating Endothelial Cells and Circulating Progenitor Cells in hypertension in pregnancy: A balance between endothelial damage and repair? (poster). V J Karthikeyan, T Watson, D A Lane, S Baghdadi, D G Beevers, G Y H Lip. British Cardiovascular Society Annual Scientific Conference, Manchester, June 2008.
- Circulating Endothelial Cells and plasma von Willebrand factor in hypertension in pregnancy: evidence for endothelial damage/dysfunction (poster). Vellore J. Karthikeyan, Shahirose Jessani, Christopher J. Boos, Deirdre A. Lane, Sabah Baghdadi, D Gareth Beevers, Gregory Y H Lip. American College of Cardiology 57th Annual Scientific Session, Chicago, USA, March-April 2008.
- Circulating Endothelial Cells and Circulating Progenitor Cells in hypertension in pregnancy: A balance between endothelial damage and repair? (poster) Vellore J. Karthikeyan, Timothy Watson, Deirdre A. Lane, Sabah Baghdadi, D Gareth Beevers, Gregory Y H Lip. American College of Cardiology 57th Annual Scientific Session, Chicago, USA, March-April 2008.
- Impaired Glucose Tolerance is associated with Endothelial Damage following Acute Myocardial Infarction (poster). Shahirose S Jessani, Vellore J. Karthikeyan, Teri A Millane, Gregory YH Lip. American College of Cardiology 57th Annual Scientific Session, Chicago, USA, March-April 2008.
- Fas and Fas-Ligand as Indices of Apoptosis in patients with Impaired Glucose Tolerance following Acute Myocardial Infarction (poster). Shahirose S Jessani, Vellore J. Karthikeyan, Teri A Millane, Gregory YH Lip. American College of Cardiology 57th Annual Scientific Session, Chicago, USA, March-April 2008.
- Hypertension in pregnancy: An altered balance between endothelial damage/dysfunction and repair? (poster). V J Karthikeyan, Shahirose Jessani, Timothy Watson, Christopher J. Boos, Deirdre A. Lane, Sabah Baghdadi, D Gareth Beevers, Gregory Y H Lip. MRS / AMS / RCP Clinical Scientists in Training meeting, London, February 2008.
- Circulating Endothelial Cells as an index of endothelial damage/ dysfunction in hypertension in pregnancy (poster). [awarded Young Investigator Travel Grant] V J Karthikeyan, S Jessani, C Boos, D Lane, S Baghdadi, D G Beevers, G Y H Lip. European Society of Cardiology Congress, Vienna, September 2007.
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers in pregnancy: a cause for concern (oral). V J Karthikeyan, F Ali, S F Jewels, R E Ferner, S Baghdadi, & D G Beevers. British Pharmacological Society 75th Annual Winter meeting, Oxford, 20 December 2006 and Evans and Gaisford Research Prize, City Hospital, Birmingham, 11 December 2006.
- Audit of Safe Sedation Practice for Adults undergoing Health care procedures in the West Midlands (oral). V J Karthikeyan, S Fernandes, D Bareford. Trust Clinical Governance Meeting, City Hospital, Birmingham, 20 November 2003.
Audit/ Service Improvement
- An audit of the implementation and adherence to NICE guidelines in the evaluation of chest pain of recent onset in Rapid Access Chest Pain clinics by Cardiology Advanced Nurse Practitioners.
- Warfarin prescribing in cardiology in-patients, Feb 2010– unsatisfactory prescribing of warfarin noted, resulting in recommendations to alter warfarin prescription charts and introduction of training sessions as part of junior doctor induction.
- *Contrast-induced nephropathy in patients with chronic kidney disease undergoing diagnostic cardiac catheterisation, Nov 2008.
- *Oral glucose tolerance testing (OGTT) in patients with an acute coronary syndrome, Sep 2008 – OGTT not being performed routinely in patients admitted with ACS, new trust guidelines introduced.
- Oxygen prescribing in adults admitted to the Medical Assessment Unit, Jul 2004; Warfarin prescribing in patients admitted to medical wards, Apr 2005.
- *Safe Sedation Practice for Adults undergoing day case procedures (OGD, TOE, Colonoscopy, Bronchoscopy etc.) Nov 2003 – Initial audit revealed poor awareness of Royal College of Anaesthetists’ guidelines. Further to presentation of audit findings, trust level guidelines drafted and implemented;
- The Financial and Health Implications of Referring Hypertensive Patients to a Hospital Clinic, Jul 2002, published Journal of Human Hypertension.
- *Effective Notes-Keeping by Doctors as per GMC guidelines and MDU recommendations, Jul 2001;
*designed, led and completed audit and presented my findings
Dr. V J KarthikeyanMBBS, MD, FRCP (London), FESCSpecialist in Interventional Cardiology
19 Lancaster Rd
Salford M6 8AQ, UK
Royal Albert Edward Infirmary
Wrightington, Wigan & Leigh NHS Foundation Trust
Wigan WN1 2NN
Honorary Senior Lecturer